Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Sari Trunk Show

Last weekend, I attended a Sari Trunk show with some friends in town from Mysore. The designer, Julie Kagti, was exhibiting (and selling!) her newest collection of saris. She started weaving when she was only 4 years old... A few snaps from the evening, courtesy of her personal paparazzi and on loan from Facebook...
Her sweet little one room shop is situated in a historic bungalow off Cunningham Road. Named "Hatworks Boulevard" for the former business it housed, Imperial Hat Works began production in the 1920s, supplying caps to the armed forces in WWII and pioneering pre-tied turbans which became popular with the Maharajas.

Julie carries on the property's legacy of innovative design. She is pictured on the left in a her own sari and blouse, which seems to be missing its sleeves...(but we like it better that way!)

Please note the change in daylight from the photo above...to the one below...

Between the three of us (Nancy, Laura and I) we must have tried on every sari in the store...here Nancy considers one covered in hand embroidery.

A final peek into her space. I am being draped with the sari I eventually took home. (This shot looks like I used my twin (Ryan!) as a body double. Where did those muscle-y shoulders come from? I look more Greek god than goddess. I think (hope!) it's just the angle...) I still have to have the blouse tailored, how nice to have an excuse to go back!

Find Julie on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/JULIE-KAGTI-My-Shop/315524731197?ref=mf&v=wall#!/pages/JULIE-KAGTI-My-Shop/315524731197

No comments:

Post a Comment