Thursday, March 31, 2011

A haunted house so legit it's scary

Ok ok. I actually don't think it's haunted, though you can't help but work yourself up a bit when you enter a house that was vacated because of a murder of it's elderly resident, Dolce Vas, ten years ago. Her sister Vera Vas (Ok, love those names!) was advised to move out after the incident. Contentious litigation followed, and the community wonders if she was asked to leave for her own wellbeing, or because someone had an eye on the property. 
 The view from the street is intriguing, as this home lies in ruins between trendy cafes and new construction. We often enjoy Sunday brunch after church at any number of spots along St. Marks Road, but today, feeling brave with my roommate's Mom in tow (you always feel safer with a mother around!) Kristen and I decided to investigate the familiar facade.And it shares the same street address as that beacon of modernity: Hard Rock Cafe!
Decaying under the carpark: what used to be a Hillman Minx! (Correct me if you know more about vintage cars.) 
"Did you hear something?"
Our first view inside.
It is a bit creepy, mostly because I expect to see the owner of umpteen empty liquor bottles stagger out from a cupboard or behind the piano. 
Local teens say they still hear piano music coming from the house at night.  (I tried playing it, not a sound!)
 This might be the bed on which Dolce Vas was murdered. The original press release here
Water damage has stripped the walls of everything except this darkened painting of Jesus. 
Must have had messy houeguests recently.
I don't remember what I was saying in this shot. Must have been fascinating though! 
This home had three kitchens! Ghost or no ghost I wouldn't want to leave!
I think the bet part of our tour was how it reminded me of the adventures of my childhood heroine, Ariel the little mermaid. As if I was exploring a deserted shipwreck trying to figure out what Dolce and Vera's world was like.

4 comments:

  1. omg u have been there just five days after me and my friends went to that house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey,

    I am planning to visit and spend entire night tomorrow at that place...

    will let you know if anything happens... hopefully nothing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing happened...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe nice article.... its strange that till now no one has occupied the land..... :D

    ReplyDelete