Monday, March 28, 2011

So we might have crashed a fashion show - Part II

A fashion show that's touted in the business news...
Perfect. 

 Rajesh Pratap Singh is the Victor & Rolf, or perhaps the Jean Paul Gautier of India--upscale and edgey. (Pratap has a thing for sculls and crossbones). But his established reputation earned him the honour of designing an exclusive line to show off a newly developed extra-soft denim at this show in Bangalore. 
What follows is a short chronicle of the day leading up to his show at the Bangalore Palace, and my first time walking the ramp. 
Setup was already well underway when the models arrived around noon. We practiced walking the ramp and sorted out who would wear what and the sequence. The scene reminded me of cheerleading competitions from high school:  lots of pretty girls and ripped boys, blaring music and the perfectly uniform hair and makeup so we'd look like little carbon prints of each other. Well, almost. I was the only blond.
The look for our hair was straight and slicked back...even for me. A few minutes into the straightening process I had to confess to cutting my own hair as the stylist unwound the curls to reveal a choppy, jagged edged cut underneath. It took them an HOUR to finish the job. The model waiting behind me is a professional pole vaulter--and Natalie Portman's doppleganger. 
Then came makeup. A view backstage. Most of the day is spent waiting around, which afforded opportunities to talk with the other girls. One was a former investment banker with Reuters. Another studied dance at the Boston Conservatory, and invited me to her solo performance of "The Lady of Burma" about the Burmese democrat, Aung San Suu Kyi, the following night. (I went. She was amazing.) Style, and substance!
Presto, change-o...
Ack! Who's that?
Friends came out to crash...errr support. My alter ego, Tour Guide Barbie, showed them around. 
When I  first moved to New York without a job in 2008, my roommate and I were on the poor girl's CPD diet (Calories Per Dollar). Three years later--freelance model or not--I'm still a scrappy NGO worker in a developing country who can't say no to a free meal!  My outfit had tons of ruffles down the front...perfect for concealing a food baby...
Time to change for the show. Brogues! Love them in concept, but they don't do a girl's legs any favours.
The runway was exceptionally long and covered in leaves. Oh good, more opportunities to trip. 
Seriously, it's harder than you'd think! The lighting makes it nigh impossible to see. Imagine staring into the sun as you strut in front of 200+ people. 
Home stretch!
See? What'd I say about the brogues?
This girl was legit.
Pashmeena on the left gave me a lesson on walking. She should have taught me how to look pissed too. That expression didn't come naturally. Must. Practice. :-)
Remember this picture? Even though I was the only non-Indian on the ramp, I think (I hope!) I was able to blend in more.   
After the show they served dinner (It was 10PM, no problem!) And we snuck back to the runway to take some pictures and play in the leaves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment