Saturday, March 19, 2011

"Where's Waldo?" That tool...

While on a trip to open bank accounts for 6 of our clients, we were in the bank for over two hours because around 1:30PM the entire bank staff had to take their lunch. (A sacred ritual) During that  time a women's microfiance self help group  gathered in the bank for their monthly meeting. I think my presence proved a bit of a distraction, because when I looked up at the group, all 15 members eyes looked back at me, including the slightly exasperated eyes of the nun attempting to guide the meeting. Three women promptly sprung to their feet and dragged me to the group to take a picture with them, clearing a spot at the center for me.  We took one picture, then they insisted I put on the sunglasses I was holding for another photo which makes me look like a total tool* so I wont be sharing that one.  This first below.
Despite Bangalore's reputation as the "Silicon Valley of India" I encounter surprisingly few foreigners around town (outside of certain expat watering holes). I find it hard to blame these women from rural villages for staring, because whenever I come across a foreigner, I'm so shocked I stare too!

*Definition of "tool" according to the Urban dictionary: "A person, typically male, who says or does things that cause you to give them a 'what-are-you-even-doing-here' look...The tool is always trying too hard to fit in, and because of this, never will." (Rating: 5548 Thumps up, 1157 Thumbs down)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tool 

(Please note the sink in right hand corner of this bank's meeting room. This is one thing I really appreciate about Indian culture: 1.3 Billion people who are OCD about handwashing. Especially helpful when you forgo a knife and fork because everything is considered finger food!)

2 comments: