Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 20 - Got to Goa

Last weekend my girlfriends and I got to Goa as a sort of "last hurrah" since 3 out of the 4 of us will leave India in the next month.  It was nice to escape our hectic preparations and enjoy a weekend away. 

14 hours in an overnight sleeper bus (this guy was in the bunk across the aisle), and you wake up to...

BLISS! It's hard to believe I'm still in India, because everything is so...chill. 

 
Like you can bare your shoulders here! (I'm told shoulders are considered quite provocative.)  Actually, it's a beach culture, so bathing suits were de rigueur.  One woman (European, no doubt) decided to tan, swim and drink Coca Cola from a glass bottle--topless. Her husband, a pot-bellied shag carpet with eyes, donned a psychedelic speedo. Kristen proclaimed them her favourite couple on the beach. Here here! (No pictures for obvious reasons.)

We found the precious "OM Made Cafe" full of antique furniture, vintage prints and Indo-French food. We barely moved from the spot for two days. I've really missed cafe culture!

This was us, for most of the weekend.

While watching this sunset my only friend who stays in Goa, the lovely and talented Monika, wandered into Shore Bar and snuck up behind me. The rendezvous was a complete coincidence, and made me feel quite popular. I later discovered it was the end of the season and most places were closed...

Angela visited Korea for her best friend's wedding in April, and got an offer she couldn't refuse: In June she'll move to Seoul to work in a prestigious law firm.  We're so proud of our world traveller!

Though it doesn't feel like India, there are still little reminders. Like when a gentlemanly goat crosses the street and decides to walk you home. 


In one months time, Kristen (left) will be holding down the fort, as our other expat colleagues consist of five tall, dark, and handsome guys. (Poor Kristen! ;-)

 
Look, here's one now! (JKs all around)

2 comments:

  1. Yup, poor me. Its going to be difficult to be left alone with all those tall boys. :) I will certainly bring down the average height of the group. Great post Stacie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very jealous of your second trip there! Where was that cafe when we went?! Although I'm not sure I would have traded Shore Bar for anything...

    ReplyDelete