Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day 23 - Life on the Farm

Bangalore's nickname is the "Garden City" but rapid urbanization and construction have caused the city to lose some of its former glory over the last 10 years. Perhaps, instead of "garden" city it could be content as the "farmer's" city. As I've never seen so much livestock content to mingle with 5.5 million city dwellers (Except in Jonah' description of Nineveh. ) I might see any number of the following on my walk to or from work.

I love that one chicken's head is painted yellow, the other hot pink!

I refrained from sharing a picture of a cow eating garbage (as they're apt to ) out of repect. However, now you know the real reason Hindus dont eat beef!

These street dogs love eating trash so much they've made the bin their home. 

Pet deer owned by a tailor near our office.

This type of cow is often used for manual labour.

now GoogleMaps, does this look like a street to you? More proof Bangalore is really a farm masquerading as a city. I had to get out of the auto and walk the rest of the way. 

Tractors are used for everything here. This one doubles as a bus!

I don't know if you can see this little goats eye, but he's napping on the seat of the scooter!

And what' a farm without a farmer's market! Most stalls are lit by kerosene lamp after dark. Its currently mango season. Yum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment